By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: 20 homes destroyed in Annapolis County wildfire
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > 20 homes destroyed in Annapolis County wildfire
News

20 homes destroyed in Annapolis County wildfire

Press Room
Last updated: 2025/08/28 at 11:25 PM
Press Room Published August 28, 2025
Share
SHARE

The Nova Scotia government has confirmed 20 homes were destroyed last weekend in the Annapolis County wildfire, which remains out of control and is estimated at 8,234 hectares — or more than 82 square kilometres.

According to a news release on Thursday, the residences were destroyed Sunday on West Dalhousie and Thorne roads. Not all of the residences were primary structures.

“Our hearts are broken for residents in the West Dalhousie community who’ve lost their homes,” Premier Tim Houston said in a news release. “It’s overwhelming to get that news, it will be a long road to recovery, and I know residents will find comfort through this strong, tight-knit community.

“The saving grace is that there’s been no loss of life, more homes were saved than lost, and our crews are doing everything they can to prevent any further losses.”

The province said another 11 outbuildings were lost or damaged on other properties in the area.

Officials said the many homes still standing can be seen as a success. They said crews worked ahead of the fire, deploying sprinklers to douse homes and removing propane tanks, patio furniture and other potential fuel for the fire.

“Crews, they haven’t left. They’ve been there from the beginning and they’ll continue to go through and ensure any of those homes and risks are mitigated and protected,” Andrew Mitton, director of regional operations for the Department of Emergency Management, told reporters on Thursday.

Affected residents have been contacted by the Municipality of the County of Annapolis about their properties. It is establishing a program to help property owners and evacuees access support.

Dustin Enslow, the deputy warden of the municipality, told reporters on Thursday that the municipality and the province will be hiring someone from the area to work with families that have been affected by evacuation, loss and damage.

“If people are insured, we encourage you to reach out to the insurance company to start the process, but this navigator will also assist you in supporting that transition,” Enslow said. “We know that it’s going to be difficult.”

Enslow said the navigator will begin work on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Bridgetown Fire Hall. Enslow said people don’t need an appointment.

“We are going to get through this together,” Enslow said.

Work to assess the damage will continue for other homes, outbuildings, campers and trailers when it is safe. The area is still considered to be an active fire scene.

The province said it is not yet safe to allow property owners, insurance professionals or other services into the area.

The wildfire began on Aug. 13. 

So far, 505 civic addresses have been evacuated but not all are residential properties.

Kim Masland, Nova Scotia’s minister of emergency management, said Thursday that 267 households and 518 people have registered with the Canadian Red Cross. She said that number isn’t the total number of evacuees since not everybody has registered.

Masland said 88 homes in the evacuation area were protected by sprinklers. Of those, only three were lost.

She said assessment of damage will continue for other homes and structures when it is safe.

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

News

International student at Western ‘completely stuck’ waiting months for study permit amid new Canadian rules

August 29, 2025
News

Small businesses that relied on duty-free U.S. shipping wonder if they can survive without it

August 29, 2025
News

Quebec plans to table bill banning prayer in public

August 29, 2025
News

Mounting layoffs at B.C. schools creating ‘biggest crisis in post-secondary ever,’ faculty association says

August 29, 2025
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?