Listen to this article
Estimated 2 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
Premier Doug Ford had choice words for students expressing concerns over recent cuts to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) Tuesday, telling them to “not pick basket-weaving courses” and to invest in education that gives people in-demand jobs.
Speaking to reporters at Queen’s Park, Ford said he received “thousands of calls” from students over the long weekend, who expressed concerns about the province cutting the amount of grant money students can receive through OSAP.
“I mentioned to the students, you have to invest in your future, into in-demand jobs,” he said.
“You’re picking basket-weaving courses, and there’s not too many baskets being sold out there.”
The changes to OSAP were announced by Ontario’s Minister of Colleges and Universities Nolan Quinn last week. Starting this fall, the amount of money eligible students can receive in the form of OSAP grants will decrease from a maximum of 85 per cent to 25 per cent.
That change has sparked worry among many incoming and current students, who say it will strain their finances and put them in more debt after graduation.
Ford said taxpayers want to know that the courses students are picking — and that they’re paying for — are going to help an in-demand jobs sector in the province. He mentioned trades, healthcare and STEM-related fields as those that would provide jobs to graduates.
He acknowledged that students are “probably upset right now,” but also said he’s heard some “nightmare stories” about kids going out and “buying fancy watches and cologne,” supposedly alluding to students misusing their OSAP money.
“That doesn’t fly with the taxpayers, I’ll tell you that right now,” said Ford.

