By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: N.W.T. battles 3 wildfires as season gets underway
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > N.W.T. battles 3 wildfires as season gets underway
News

N.W.T. battles 3 wildfires as season gets underway

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/05/18 at 8:38 PM
Press Room Published May 18, 2026
Share
N.W.T. battles 3 wildfires as season gets underway
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The government says it is fighting three fires in the Northwest Territories, and it says humans caused two of the fires.  

It says one human-caused wildfire in the South Slave region is under control.

It says the fire measuring about 0.0001 square kilometres, or roughly the size of a large house, began on Monday.

The Environment and Climate Change website describes the blaze as a “camp fire escaped.”

The government says it is also fighting an out-of-control overwintering fire, scorching about 0.05 square kilometres in the South Slave region that began on May 9.

An overwinter fire is one that remains dormant or undetected for a considerable amount of time after it starts.

The government says the overwinter fire was found using infrared scanning along the perimeter of the Fort Providence wildfire last year.

It says firefighters will attack hotspots found by scanning and get rid of the “remaining heat” using heavy equipment.

It says there are no threats to Fort Providence, cabins, or infrastructure.

The government says it is fighting an “out-of-control” 0.001 square kilometre wildfire, the size of a Canadian Football League end zone, in the North Slave region.

It says the wildfire began on Saturday and was human-caused.

Fire officials warned last month that this year could be a challenging year for wildfire season because of ongoing drought in parts of the territory.  

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Documents reveal Uber’s behind-the-scenes lobbying in Halifax
News

Documents reveal Uber’s behind-the-scenes lobbying in Halifax

May 18, 2026
Thinking of renting out your home short-term for World Cup? Experts say the extra cash isn’t always worth it
News

Thinking of renting out your home short-term for World Cup? Experts say the extra cash isn’t always worth it

May 18, 2026
Ottawa Charge staying confident ahead of must-win Game 3 on home ice
News

Ottawa Charge staying confident ahead of must-win Game 3 on home ice

May 18, 2026
Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall
News

Manitoba lifts U.S. booze ban to sell off wines, liqueurs set to expire in fall

May 18, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?