By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province
News

Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/05/22 at 9:16 PM
Press Room Published May 22, 2026
Share
Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

British Columbia’s nurses won’t be taking job action, after reaching a tentative deal on a new collective agreement on Friday.

It comes after the B.C. Nurses’ Union (BCNU) voted 98.2 per cent in favour to give leadership a strike mandate earlier this month amid stalled contract talks. The union’s last agreement expired in March 2025.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health said the deal between the Health Employers Association and the union “includes additional funding to support service delivery and improve working conditions” for nurses.

WATCH | B.C. nurses give union overwhelming strike mandate:

B.C. nurses vote overwhelmingly in favour of job action: union

Nurses in B.C. have voted 98 per cent in favour of job action following a strike vote. The B.C. Nurses’ Union said more than 50,000 of its members cast ballots after talks with their employer broke down last month. Union president Adriane Gear said nurses are struggling with burn out and violence.

Full details of the deal won’t be made public until after the union holds a ratification vote, but the ministry said it was based on the Balanced Measures Mandate, the provincial government’s framework for negotiating with public sector unions.

The union says the agreement improves benefits coverage, workplace safety and violence prevention and provides access to “enhanced mandate monies” on top of the province’s general wage increase of 12 per cent over four years.

“The record strike mandate shifted the balance of power at the bargaining table and gave the committee the leverage to push harder, stay at the table longer, and secure meaningful gains for nurses across the province,” BCNU president Adriane Gear said in a statement.

“The bargaining committee believes this represents the strongest agreement achievable through negotiations in this round of bargaining.”

The union says it also negotiated an agreement with the ministry for “significant” additional funding for the implementation of minimum nurse-to-patient ratios.

B.C. became the first province in Canada to commit to nurse-to-patient ratios in 2024.

A ratificaiton vote is scheduled to take place June 15-19.

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Halifax mayor says office had ‘good laugh’ over Regina ad
News

Halifax mayor says office had ‘good laugh’ over Regina ad

May 22, 2026
‘Most ridiculous ruling’: Premier slams judge’s decision barring region from clearing Kitchener encampment
News

‘Most ridiculous ruling’: Premier slams judge’s decision barring region from clearing Kitchener encampment

May 22, 2026
Edmonton dog owner found guilty in fatal dog attack that killed 11-year-old boy
News

Edmonton dog owner found guilty in fatal dog attack that killed 11-year-old boy

May 22, 2026
New protected marine reserve, larger than P.E.I., to be established on B.C.’s Central Coast
News

New protected marine reserve, larger than P.E.I., to be established on B.C.’s Central Coast

May 22, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?