By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Tupac shooting trial begins with opening statements
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > Entertainment > Tupac shooting trial begins with opening statements
Entertainment

Tupac shooting trial begins with opening statements

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/08/17 at 10:44 AM
Press Room Published August 17, 2026
Share
Tupac shooting trial begins with opening statements
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 4 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A former street gang leader accused of masterminding the 1996 drive-by shooting death of hip-hop star Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas faces opening statements on Monday in a murder trial tied to a long-unsolved crime that became a seminal moment in rap history.

Duane (Keffe D) Davis, 63, is charged in Clark County, Nev. with a single count of murder ‌using a deadly weapon. He has pleaded not guilty. Davis is accused of leading a group of men to kill Shakur, 25, one of rap’s most commercially successful and influential artists, in a 1996 drive-by shooting near the Las Vegas Strip.

The killing heightened the image of violence permeating hip-hop culture and its lyrics during “gangsta” rap’s golden age, stoking the East Coast-West ​Coast rap feud of that era.

Police said after Davis’s 2023 arrest that he ​was a longtime suspect in the killing but that investigators lacked sufficient admissible evidence to charge him until he began implicating himself in a series of public statements.  

The trial before Judge Carli Kierny is expected to run ​for up to six weeks in a downtown Las Vegas courthouse. It may feature testimony from Death Row Records ⁠co-founder Marion (Suge) Knight, a former rap ⁠mogul who was with Shakur the night he was slain and is ‌now serving a 28-year prison sentence on an unrelated voluntary manslaughter conviction. A jury was selected last week.  

Authorities have described Davis as the “shot caller” of a hurried plot to avenge the beating of his nephew by Shakur and members of his entourage inside the MGM Grand casino in Las Vegas the night of Sept. 7, 1996.

The violence at the ⁠casino allegedly stemmed from hostility between two Los Angeles-area street gangs — the South Side Compton Crips, of which Davis was the self-described leader, and Mob Piru, which police say was associated with Knight and Death Row Records. They were in Las Vegas to see a world heavyweight title boxing match ‌between Mike Tyson and Bruce Seldon.

Davis allegedly obtained the murder weapon and handed it off to two other men in the rear seat of a white Cadillac as they rode around looking for Knight and Shakur’s car following the brawl.

Shots were fired when Davis and the others caught up with Knight and Shakur’s vehicle. Shakur was struck four times and died in a ​hospital six days later. Knight, who had been driving, suffered a minor injury from a bullet fragment that grazed his head.

Davis described murder in interviews, book

The murder investigation grew cold for years, but ⁠police said statements Davis made in 2018 to various media outlets about his involvement in the shooting reinvigorated the case.

Davis said in interviews ⁠and in his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend, that he was riding in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac and had ⁠handed the ⁠gun to one of the two men sitting behind ​him, according to police.

But neither Davis’s account nor authorities have said who fired the gun at Shakur. The three other men in the ​Cadillac with Davis have all since died.

A man in a green hoodie and black backwards baseball cap smiles.
Rap musician Tupac Shakur shown in this 1993 file photo. Shakur died on Sept. 13, 1996, the victim of a drive-by shooting. Duane (Keffe D) Davis, who talked about his role in the shooting in interviews and a book, is on trial facing one count of murder ‌using a deadly weapon. (File photo/AP)

Under ⁠Nevada law, Davis can be charged with murder if he took part in the crime without pulling the trigger.

In his book, Davis wrote that he was long considered a suspect in the murders of Shakur and a rival rapper, Christopher Wallace, who performed as The Notorious B.I.G. under the New York-based Bad Boy Entertainment label and was shot dead in Los Angeles in March 1997.

Although the Wallace killing remains unsolved, investigators have long speculated that ⁠he was gunned down in retaliation for Shakur’s ‌killing months earlier. 

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Nick Reiner denied access to trust fund ahead of murder trial, as trustees cite ‘slayer statute’
Entertainment

Nick Reiner denied access to trust fund ahead of murder trial, as trustees cite ‘slayer statute’

August 17, 2026
Canadian icon Jann Arden marries Icelandic author Thordis Elva: ‘Wife and wife’
Entertainment

Canadian icon Jann Arden marries Icelandic author Thordis Elva: ‘Wife and wife’

August 17, 2026
Hayden Panettiere, star of TV series Heroes and Nashville, dead at 36
Entertainment

Hayden Panettiere, star of TV series Heroes and Nashville, dead at 36

August 17, 2026
BTS members J-Hope and RM cause outcry after attending Chris Brown show in Toronto, posing with singer
Entertainment

BTS members J-Hope and RM cause outcry after attending Chris Brown show in Toronto, posing with singer

August 14, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?