By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Federal government says there may not be enough workstations for all workers’ 4-day-a-week return
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > Federal government says there may not be enough workstations for all workers’ 4-day-a-week return
News

Federal government says there may not be enough workstations for all workers’ 4-day-a-week return

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/02/21 at 5:39 PM
Press Room Published February 21, 2026
Share
Federal government says there may not be enough workstations for all workers’ 4-day-a-week return
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The federal government says there may not be enough room in some offices for all workers as the public service prepares to return to the office four days a week starting July 6.

Civil servants currently only have to come into the office three days a week — a rule that was put in place in September 2024 as government employees were for the most part working remotely in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Earlier this month, the federal government announced it expects employees who haven’t done so already to return to in-office work for a minimum of four days a week starting this July. Government executives will be expected in the office five days.

In a French-language statement emailed this week to Radio-Canada, the Treasury Board of Canada said that Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) will work closely with organizations to ensure “adequate office space” is available for staff.

PSPC will contact the organizations to address their needs “while recognizing that there may not be enough workstations at some locations to meet the four-day work week requirement for all staff starting July 6,” Martin Potvin, a spokesperson with the Treasury Board stated in the email.

WATCH | Experts say government’s latest return-to-office order ignores reality:

Experts questioning where public servants will work – and how they’ll get there – under new RTO order

CBC’s Priscilla Ki Sun Hwang spoke to experts from commercial real estate to transportation planning about the realities and logistics around public servants returning to the office more often.

For unions representing federal workers, the Treasury Board’s update only confirms what they already knew.

“We have been clear from the start: there simply isn’t enough office space or available workstations to support a four-day in-office mandate,” the Public Service Alliance of Canada said in an emailed statement, adding that under the current three-day policy, shared desks are already fully booked in many departments.

Sean O’Reilly, president of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada, said that many departments were not able to implement the three-day-a-week mandate “because there’s a lack of space across the public service.”

The government held three consultation sessions with unions this week. Discussions focused on the implementation of a timeline for the four-day plan, workspaces, health and safety, accommodations, and exemptions.

O’Reilly said the government restated at the first meeting that it intends to move ahead in July, “but they [also] maintained it’s not a final decision.”

“If this isn’t a final decision and July 6th is not the date, let’s take that off the table and actually have real meaningful discussions to see what [a phased approach] looks like,” O’Reilly said.

Radio-Canada asked the Treasury Board if it’s possible the government might reconsider the July 6 timeline, or be flexible about it.

“We will continue our mobilization sessions with the bargaining agents regarding the government’s intention to increase the on-site presence of employees in order to ensure proper implementation,” Potvin wrote back in French.

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

B.C. RCMP investigating reports of threats against Tumbler Ridge victim’s family
News

B.C. RCMP investigating reports of threats against Tumbler Ridge victim’s family

February 21, 2026
North America’s only French ballet school says funding gap threatens its future
News

North America’s only French ballet school says funding gap threatens its future

February 21, 2026
As Iranian Canadians mark 40 days of mourning, fate of some loved ones still unknown
News

As Iranian Canadians mark 40 days of mourning, fate of some loved ones still unknown

February 21, 2026
Fears Ontario’s student aid program will bring huge debt, put higher education out of reach
News

Fears Ontario’s student aid program will bring huge debt, put higher education out of reach

February 21, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?