By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Quebec mayor wants answers after thousands of litres of water stolen from fire hydrants
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > Quebec mayor wants answers after thousands of litres of water stolen from fire hydrants
News

Quebec mayor wants answers after thousands of litres of water stolen from fire hydrants

Press Room
Last updated: 2025/08/29 at 10:51 PM
Press Room Published August 29, 2025
Share
SHARE

A small town south of Quebec City is keeping a close eye on its fire hydrants after 41,000 litres of water were stolen in the middle of the night. 

Laurent Marcotte, the mayor of the municipality of Saint-Léonard-d’Aston, Que., says the thieves hit the town’s hydrants twice in one week and transferred the water into tanker trucks. 

He says he doesn’t understand why this happened. 

“I’d really like to know what’s behind this,” said Marcotte. “The goal isn’t really to send someone to jail, it’s to understand why they need the water and why they aren’t calling the municipalities … they call us, and we arrange it together.”

He says he advised provincial police, who say they will monitor the area to prevent similar incidents in the coming days.

But Marcotte says this theft is part of a pattern. For weeks, he says the town has been on alert due to similar reports from neighbouring municipalities, including Saint-Wenceslas and Sainte-Eulalie, Que. 

On Thursday morning, he says there was an alert of excessive water consumption in the early hours of both Tuesday and Thursday. 

“There had been no fire,” said Marcotte, who sent out a municipal alert, urging residents to report suspicious activity. 

He says the town just wants to know why this happened and prevent recurrence, considering that when a fire hydrant is not opened correctly — or all the way — it can damage the soil and eventually lead to the need for repair. 

“At some point, if the fire hydrant fails and we don’t notice it right away, but an event like a fire happens, we could get to the hydrant and it wouldn’t work,” he said. 

Marcotte adds that while the town has security cameras that captured some footage, they weren’t able to decipher licence plates.

Louis-Philippe Ruel, a provincial police spokesperson, says they don’t have the details to be able to move forward with the file but confirmed that private citizens cannot use fire hydrants. 

For now, he says it’s about doing preventive work. 

He says the incident in Saint-Léonard-d’Aston was the only one reported and police are unaware of other similar incidents. 

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

News

Deadly legionnaires’ outbreaks in London, Ont., bring role climate change may play to the forefront

August 30, 2025
News

‘A regular, wonderful, lovable kid’: Parents of man found dead in Scarborough Town Centre reel with grief

August 30, 2025
News

Behchokǫ̀, N.W.T., preparing to welcome Whatı̀ wildfire evacuees, chief says

August 30, 2025
News

‘This isn’t Ottawa’: Outrage grows over ‘vile’ grocery store attack on Jewish woman

August 30, 2025
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?