By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: B.C. mayor calls for gang task force support after surge in targeted shootings
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > B.C. mayor calls for gang task force support after surge in targeted shootings
News

B.C. mayor calls for gang task force support after surge in targeted shootings

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/08/16 at 8:44 PM
Press Room Published August 16, 2026
Share
B.C. mayor calls for gang task force support after surge in targeted shootings
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The mayor of Fort St. John is calling for more provincial police resources to stop a surge in gun violence near local schools in northeastern B.C.

The call comes after what RCMP believe was a third targeted shooting Friday night at a home in that city.

Few details have been released so far, and police say suspects have yet to be identified.

Mayor Lilia Hansen wants B.C.’s gang task force brought in to bring violence in the city under control.

“One shooting, you’re like, oh, that’s awful. Two, it’s like, no, this is getting very serious. And three, this has to be stopped,” Hansen said.

“We need a stronger presence.”

bullet holes can be seen in the front door of a residential home with beige vinyl siding
Bullet holes can be seen in the front door of a residential home in Fort St. John, B.C., where RCMP say a targeted shooting happened on Aug. 14. (Matt Preprost/CBC)

RCMP say they are prioritizing an investigation into the series of shootings, which first began July 22, when they say at least one man was injured and later charged. 

While police and B.C. Emergency Health Services have not confirmed if anyone was injured in Friday’s shooting, nearby residents told CBC News they saw at least one person taken to hospital by ambulance, and believe others were injured.

Sgt. Jaime Moffat said the detachment’s serious crime and street enforcement units are working with frontline officers to identify and arrest suspects.

“We recognize the concern these incidents cause,” Moffat said in a statement.

“Significant resources are being dedicated to identifying those responsible and preventing further violence.”

Growing concerns as back-to-school nears

Neighbours who live near the scene of Friday’s shooting say they’re surprised and troubled by the sudden spike in violence in the city.

Each shooting has happened within a block of local elementary and middle schools.

“For a small town like Fort St. John, you don’t expect this kind of violence so close to your house, so close to where your kids are sleeping,” said resident Thomas Whitton, a father of four.

Whitton says three of his children walked past the home targeted in the latest attack just an hour before shots started ringing out around 10 p.m.

four uniformed investigators walk across a grassy yard toward a house cordoned with yellow police tape
Search-and-rescue volunteers in Fort St. John help search for evidence outside a home RCMP say was targeted in a shooting in the city on Aug. 14. (Matt Preprost/CBC)

Bullet holes were visible in the home’s front door Saturday afternoon, as police dogs and search-and-rescue volunteers combed through a nearby park looking for evidence.

“It could have been tragic, and that scares me,” Whitton said.

Whitton says governments need to give police and the courts the resources needed to find those responsible for the violence and keep them in jail.

“None of us want to see it here,” he said. “Especially as kids head back to school in less than a month now.”

Helen Gilbert, chair of the local board of education for School District 60, shared those worries.

“The level of violence in the city, and the concept that somebody who’s totally innocent could be injured with these drive-by shootings,” she said of her major concerns.

“As we head into the school year, it will be something that our district safety team will follow up on and talk about.”


Subscribe to CBC’s Fort St. John Weekly for a roundup of the best news and stories from B.C.’s Peace and Northern Rockies.

A graphic advertising Fort St. John weekly newsletter, 'Sharing Northern B.C. stories from the other side of the Rockies.'

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

What you need to know about B.C. wildfires on Aug. 16
News

What you need to know about B.C. wildfires on Aug. 16

August 16, 2026
Consensus reached on proposed corridor for road connecting Nunavut and N.W.T.
News

Consensus reached on proposed corridor for road connecting Nunavut and N.W.T.

August 16, 2026
Carney, Wakeham, Fréchette will meet in St. John’s as provinces inch toward new deal on Churchill Falls energy
News

Carney, Wakeham, Fréchette will meet in St. John’s as provinces inch toward new deal on Churchill Falls energy

August 16, 2026
An Acadian flag emoji? Online petition gathers thousands of signatures
News

An Acadian flag emoji? Online petition gathers thousands of signatures

August 16, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?