By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Challenges and missteps early in Congo’s Ebola outbreak likely delayed detection, sources say
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > Health > Challenges and missteps early in Congo’s Ebola outbreak likely delayed detection, sources say
Health

Challenges and missteps early in Congo’s Ebola outbreak likely delayed detection, sources say

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/05/18 at 1:20 PM
Press Room Published May 18, 2026
Share
Challenges and missteps early in Congo’s Ebola outbreak likely delayed detection, sources say
SHARE

By the time health officials confirmed new Ebola infections in eastern Congo last week, the total number of suspected cases meant the outbreak was already one of the largest on record.

A series of challenges and missteps delayed detection, two Congolese officials familiar with the response told ‌Reuters, allowing the disease to spread undetected into rebel-held territory in the east and across the border to the capital of Uganda.

Local funeral practices helped the virus spread before any alarm was raised, diagnostic tests in a local laboratory were calibrated for the wrong strain of Ebola, and samples sent to Kinshasa, Congo’s capital, were not stored or shipped properly, the officials said.

Experts say the resulting delays risk hobbling efforts to contain the outbreak, which the World Health Organization (WHO) on the weekend declared a public health emergency of international concern.

“It’s just a scattered mess right now. I ​don’t think we have anything close to a real idea of how many cases there are,” said Dr. Craig Spencer, ​an emergency physician and public health professor at Brown University in Rhode Island. “It’s going to be quite some time before you’re able to piece this together.”

Health worker was first-known case

The outbreak is centred in the northeastern province of Ituri, a remote part of Congo grappling with poor health infrastructure and armed conflict.

WHO has so far reported 80 ​suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases in Congo, though the true number may be much higher.

WATCH | WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda a global health emergency:

Deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda a global health emergency: WHO

The World Health ‌Organization declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a ‘public health emergency of international concern’ but said it does not meet the criteria for a pandemic. As of Saturday, the DRC’s Ituri province had reported 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases across at least three health zones.

The first-known patient developed fever, vomiting and hemorrhaging and ⁠died at a medical centre in Bunia, Ituri’s capital, ⁠on April 24, Samuel Roger Kamba, Congo’s health minister, told reporters on Saturday.

The person was a health worker, ‌meaning there is little chance they were the first to become sick, Spencer said.

The dead bodies of Ebola victims are contagious, but mourners gathered for a funeral, believing the death was caused by a mystical illness, Kamba said.

“Everyone is touching him, everyone is doing this … and that’s when the cases start to explode,” he said.

Jean-Pierre Badombo, a former mayor of the town of Mongbwalu, told Reuters there were an estimated 60 to 80 deaths in Mongbwalu alone, with “six, seven, eight deaths per day,” prompting local officials to alert health authorities.

Botched testing and shipping of samples

WHO has said it was informed of an unknown illness with high mortality in Mongbwalu on May 5, including four health workers who had died within four days, and it dispatched a rapid response team.

Jean-Jacques Muyembe, director of Congo’s National Institute for Biomedical Research (INRB), said local health officials in Ituri began taking samples for testing in Bunia.

The laboratory there used testing cartridges specific to the Zaire strain of Ebola, which is the strain ‌behind 15 of Congo’s previous Ebola outbreaks, including a 2018-20 epidemic in the country’s east that killed more than 2,200 people.

But the current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain, which last surfaced in Congo in 2012 and, according to Médecins Sans Frontières, has an estimated case mortality rate of 25 to 40 per cent.

a man is carried on an orange mat into the back of an ambulance. a crowd of people wearing medical masks stand around watching
A man is carried from an ambulance as he arrives at Bunia General Referral Hospital following confirmation of an Ebola outbreak, in Bunia, Ituri province, Congo, on Saturday. (Victoire Mukenge/Reuters)

The Bunia laboratory lacks the genetic sequencing equipment needed to identify strains other than Zaire, Muyembe said, noting that only laboratories in Kinshasa and in the eastern city of Goma, which is under rebel control, can do that work.

After the tests in Bunia came back ​negative for the Zaire strain, the laboratory set the samples aside rather than escalating them, Muyembe said.

“The reflex should have been to contact Kinshasa and send them to our laboratory here for further investigation,” he said, adding that when the samples were finally sent to Kinshasa, the process was botched.

The ⁠specimens arrived at a temperature of 17 C (63 F), when they should have been kept at 4 C (39 F), Muyembe said. They were also shipped in microlitre rather than millilitre quantities, limiting the number of tests ⁠the INRB could run, he said.

Funding cuts loom over response

Africa’s top public health agency finally announced the outbreak on May 15, and WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus made his declaration of a public health ⁠emergency the following day.

To ⁠do so, he made the ruling personally, without consulting an emergency committee of ​experts — the first time he has done so in the history of the International Health Regulations, the global rulebook for responding to disease outbreaks. A committee is now being convened.

In internal documents seen by Reuters, WHO has lamented “a critical four-week detection gap” between when ⁠the first known case started showing symptoms and laboratory confirmation of the outbreak, saying this “suggests a low clinical index of suspicion among health-care providers.”

A woman in full-body blue PPE and a face shield walks outside on a sunny day in front of a one-storey blue and while building with a sign indicating it is a hospital
A health worker wearing personal protective equipment is shown outside the hospital in Bunia, Congo, on Saturday. (Jorkim Jotham Pituwa/The Associated Press)

Dr. Lievin Bangali, senior health co-ordinator for the International Rescue Committee in Congo, said foreign aid cuts affecting Congo could be partly to blame.

“Years of underinvestment and recent funding cuts have severely weakened health services across eastern [Congo], including critical disease surveillance systems that are essential for detecting and containing outbreaks early,” Bangali said.

The cuts also pose challenges as officials race to make up for lost time.

“Certain activities previously received budgetary support from donors, notably the provision of PPE [personal protective equipment] kits to health-care facilities,” Bangali said. “Today, Ituri serves as a case in point, with virtually no PPE ⁠kits available.”

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship docks in the Netherlands for disinfection
Health

Hantavirus-stricken cruise ship docks in the Netherlands for disinfection

May 18, 2026
One American tests positive for Ebola virus amid outbreak in Congo and Uganda
Health

One American tests positive for Ebola virus amid outbreak in Congo and Uganda

May 18, 2026
How do you treat a cardiac emergency in space? This researcher is trying to answer that
Health

How do you treat a cardiac emergency in space? This researcher is trying to answer that

May 18, 2026
Royal Alexandra Hospital patient died in ER waiting room: AMA
Health

Royal Alexandra Hospital patient died in ER waiting room: AMA

May 18, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?