By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: Dramatic rescue after Saskatoon teen gets trapped in storm drain by rushing rainwater
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > News > Dramatic rescue after Saskatoon teen gets trapped in storm drain by rushing rainwater
News

Dramatic rescue after Saskatoon teen gets trapped in storm drain by rushing rainwater

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/08/21 at 12:48 PM
Press Room Published August 21, 2026
Share
Dramatic rescue after Saskatoon teen gets trapped in storm drain by rushing rainwater
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A Saskatoon police officer is being hailed for “incredible bravery” after the dramatic rescue of a teen boy who was trapped in a storm drain by rushing rainwater last week.

The potentially life-threatening incident was serious and scary for both the teen and first responders, said Sean Thody, the deputy fire chief who was at the scene.

“When something like that happens and then you realize that you’re in a situation that you potentially may not get out of, it takes a toll on people,” Thody told CBC’s Saskatoon Morning.

A dramatic rescue

Officers were called to a dog park near the 3700 block of Kinnear Avenue around 8 p.m. CST on Aug. 14, police said in a post on social media.

They found a young man inside a storm drain, pinned against the bars of a grate by rushing water.

“Pushing yourself against that type of, you know, high flow and volume of water is physically impossible,” Thody said.

WATCH | Expert on Saskatoon’s water risks:

Water safety expert explains why the weir on Saskatoon’s river is so dangerous

Saskatoon emergency crews responded on Saturday afternoon to reports of a personal watercraft rider going over the weir on the South Saskatchewan River. The fire department has since announced that the operation has shifted from a rescue to a recovery mission. Linda Mushanski joins Saskatoon Morning to talk about river safety.

The first officer at the scene crawled into the drain and held the boy’s head above water, police said. The officer stayed there until the fire department arrived and co-ordinated a rescue.

The rescue was “organized chaos,” Thody said. Crews used spreaders to wrench apart some of the grate, then saws to cut through two or three metal bars to make enough space for the teen to pass through, he said.

The rescue took nearly two hours and then the teen was taken to hospital, police said.

The officer “demonstrated incredible bravery by assisting in what could have been a life-threatening situation,” police wrote on social media. They did not release the officer’s name.

How did this happen?

Four teenaged boys got into the stormwater system through an outfall, the City of Saskatoon’s water and waste operations department said in a statement to CBC News. When it started raining, the storm sewers started filling up. 

While three of the boys escaped, one was washed away toward an outfall covered by a grate and was trapped, the city said.

Before emergency responders arrived, the three other teens were helping block some of the water from hitting their friend so he could breathe, Thody said. They were later moved down the road while the rescue was ongoing.

WATCH | Quick currents this summer:

Higher river flows spark excitement — and caution — in Saskatoon

The increased flow from the Gardiner Dam is helping scour away years of silt buildup along the South Saskatchewan River, something residents say they’re pleased to see. However, authorities continue to urge caution as strong currents create hazardous conditions.

After the incident, city officials are warning residents to stay out of city infrastructure like sewers, bridges or electrical substations.

Only authorized staff should be accessing those sites, the city said.

“These areas are extremely dangerous and should never be explored,” the statement reads.

Crews inspect outfalls, but residents should report dangerous or compromised infrastructure to officials, the city said.

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

RCMP arrests Montreal minor in connection with alleged terror plot targeting school
News

RCMP arrests Montreal minor in connection with alleged terror plot targeting school

August 21, 2026
Port Hope residents resist proposed nuclear plant due to town’s radioactive past
News

Port Hope residents resist proposed nuclear plant due to town’s radioactive past

August 21, 2026
42% drop in Vancouver housing starts prompts worry from development advocate
News

42% drop in Vancouver housing starts prompts worry from development advocate

August 21, 2026
What will unite tennis and pickleball players? A whole lot more courts
News

What will unite tennis and pickleball players? A whole lot more courts

August 21, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?