By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: France rejects plan to send its last 2 captive orcas to live in Nova Scotia refuge
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > Tech > France rejects plan to send its last 2 captive orcas to live in Nova Scotia refuge
Tech

France rejects plan to send its last 2 captive orcas to live in Nova Scotia refuge

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/05/20 at 5:05 PM
Press Room Published May 20, 2026
Share
France rejects plan to send its last 2 captive orcas to live in Nova Scotia refuge
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 3 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A non-profit group in Nova Scotia has failed in its bid to bring two orcas from France to live in a seaside refuge being built for whales retired from marine theme parks.

The Whale Sanctuary Project issued a statement Friday confirming the French government had decided to send the killer whales — Wikie and her son Keijo — to Spain’s Loro Parque zoo on Tenerife Island, off the west coast of Africa.

The decision marks a major setback for the privately funded group, which announced its plans to to build a 40-hectare enclosure near Wine Harbour, N.S., more than six years ago.

As large as 50 football fields, it would include a ring of floating nets extending from the land. Experts say whales and dolphins raised in captivity can’t be returned to the wild because they lack necessary survival skills.

The animal welfare group issued a statement Friday saying the French government had agreed with a request from the whales’ owners at the now-closed Marineland Antibes in southern France to transfer the orcas to the zoo on the Canary Islands.

French law bans whales for entertainment

Marineland Antibes was closed in January 2025 to comply with a 2021 French law that bans keeping whales and dolphins captive for entertainment purposes.

Canada introduced a similar ban in 2019.

In December, the French minister responsible for the move said the planned facility in Nova Scotia was the preferred site for relocating the whales, saying the project was the “only ethical, credible and legally compliant solution.”

But Mathieu Lefevre, minister responsible for ecological transition, stepped back from that statement last month, saying the orcas were the private property of Marineland Antibes.

“Regarding Canada, I would just note that Marineland doesn’t want a transfer to Canada,” Lefevre told a committee meeting in April.

Whale Sanctuary Project reacts

Charles Vinick, CEO of the Whale Sanctuary Project, issued a statement saying the decision would be devastating for the whales.

He said the 2021 French law was intended to end the use of whales and dolphins for entertainment and captive breeding.

“The law explicitly prohibits these practices,” he said. “However, Loro Parque continues to rely on performance-based programming and breeding, particularly following the deaths of four orcas at the facility since 2019.

“Transferring Wikie and Keijo into that environment risks perpetuating the very system the law was designed to phase out.”

Vinick said construction planning continues at the coastal site on Nova Scotia’s Eastern Shore.

Earlier this month, a spokesperson for Nova Scotia’s Natural Resources Department confirmed that the 20-year Crown lease needed for the project to proceed had yet to be signed, even though the provincial government had announced approval for the $15-million project in October.

As well, project organizers require a series of federal permits before any whales can be transferred.

“The Whale Sanctuary Project remains confident in its ability to secure the funding required to complete the sanctuary and support the long-term care of whales transitioning out of captivity,” the group’s latest statement said.

“We are continuing to build a sanctuary that can support whales in need around the world and provide a viable path forward as more governments and institutions move away from captivity.”

MORE TOP STORIES

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Cascadia Seaweed set to launch new biorefinery near Prince Rupert
Tech

Cascadia Seaweed set to launch new biorefinery near Prince Rupert

May 20, 2026
Change at Mactaquac Dam sees millions more fish make it upriver to spawn
Tech

Change at Mactaquac Dam sees millions more fish make it upriver to spawn

May 20, 2026
‘I have a voice’: how some Inuit and researchers are bridging science, traditional knowledge
Tech

‘I have a voice’: how some Inuit and researchers are bridging science, traditional knowledge

May 20, 2026
Neanderthals may have been dabbling in dentistry 59,000 years ago
Tech

Neanderthals may have been dabbling in dentistry 59,000 years ago

May 20, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?