Listen to this article
Estimated 5 minutes
The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.
The cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak has docked at the Dutch port of Rotterdam for disinfection, wrapping up a troubled journey that put international health authorities on alert.
The MV Hondius was still carrying 25 crew members and two medical personnel as it reached Europe’s largest port on Monday morning, after its passengers disembarked on the Spanish island of Tenerife last week.
An Associated Press journalist saw people board the boat via the pier wearing white hazardous materials suits. A short distance from where the ship docked, authorities had set up white containers along the water in between a line of windmills.
The crew will now go into quarantine, with those who cannot be immediately repatriated spending their time in quarantine in the containers.
“Luckily so far the crew has suffered no symptoms,” Yvonne van Duijnhoven, director of public health in Rotterdam, said in an interview. Crew members will be tested upon arrival and then weekly for the duration of their quarantine.
After everyone on board the ship has disembarked, it will be decontaminated based on Dutch public health guidelines, a process that will take about three days, said van Duijnhoven, who stressed that the risk to the public is very low.
“We have very strict protocols to prevent virus going from the ship towards the outside world,” she said. Public health officials will inspect the vessel before it is allowed to sail again.
Most crew now in quarantine
The Dutch company that owns the ship said it doesn’t foresee any changes to its operations. It has an Arctic cruise setting sail from Keflavik on May 29. The hantavirus outbreak aboard the MV Hondius is the first known case on a cruise ship.
The port was asked by Dutch authorities last week if it could take in the vessel.
“I think it’s unacceptable to say no, you’re not welcome in the biggest port of Europe,” the port’s harbourmaster, René de Vries, told the AP.
The ship’s operator, Oceanwide Expeditions, confirmed on Monday afternoon that 20 crew members and two medical staff had left the ship and were taken to a specialized quarantine facility. The five leftover crew are expected to disembark “at a later stage in co-ordination with strict cleaning and quarantine protocols,” according to a company statement.
The statement said there still were no symptoms among the 27 people on and off the ship. The nationalities of the passengers who left the ship in Rotterdam on Monday include 17 people from the Philippines, three from Ukraine and two Dutch nationals.
Among those still onboard are one Polish national, one Russian, one Ukrainian and two people from the Netherlands.
Oceanwide Expeditions said it hired EWS Group, a company experienced in ship disinfection, including during COVID-19, to carry out an extensive cleaning of the vessel that should take three or four days. Dutch public health officials are assisting in the process.
As a result, two of the ship’s upcoming voyages are cancelled and passengers are being offered rebooking options.
A lab has confirmed one Canadian who travelled on a cruise ship at the centre of an outbreak has tested positive for hantavirus, but health officials are confident they’ve taken the necessary precautions to prevent further spread.
1 Canadian has tested positive
Some two dozen passengers and crew are already in quarantine in the Netherlands after arriving there on a series of flights over the previous two weeks.
The outbreak on the ship has reached at least 11 cases, nine of which have been confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO). Three passengers have died, including a Dutch couple who health officials believe were the first exposed to the virus while visiting South America.
The Public Health Agency of Canada said on Sunday that one of the four Canadians in isolation after leaving the ship had tested positive and that it would share information on the case with WHO.
Eighteen Americans are currently under observation at specialized health-care facilities in the United States designed to treat people with dangerous infectious diseases.
The Paris public hospital authority said on Monday that the French cruise passenger being treated for hantavirus is not in fact being treated with an artificial lung but remains in intensive care.
Last week, an official at Bichat Hospital told reporters that the patient was on a life-support system that pumps blood through an artificial lung.
In a statement on Monday, the hospital authority said that is not the case, though the gravity of the patient’s condition ″could lead to needing to use this type of treatment.″ The organization would not explain the mistake or further comment on the patient, citing medical privacy.
France’s Pasteur Institute said on Saturday it has fully sequenced the Andes virus detected in a French passenger from the MV Hondius and found that it matched viruses already known in South America, with no evidence so far of new characteristics that would make it more transmissible or more dangerous.


