By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Today in CanadaToday in CanadaToday in Canada
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Reading: National lab confirms hantavirus case for Canadian cruise passenger isolating in B.C.
Share
Today in CanadaToday in Canada
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Things To Do
  • Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Travel
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Lifestyle
  • Things To Do
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • Press Release
  • Spotlight
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Today in Canada > Health > National lab confirms hantavirus case for Canadian cruise passenger isolating in B.C.
Health

National lab confirms hantavirus case for Canadian cruise passenger isolating in B.C.

Press Room
Last updated: 2026/05/17 at 12:57 PM
Press Room Published May 17, 2026
Share
National lab confirms hantavirus case for Canadian cruise passenger isolating in B.C.
SHARE

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

Canada’s public health agency confirmed a positive case of hantavirus in a Canadian isolating in British Columbia after leaving the cruise ship affected by a deadly outbreak.

In a news release Sunday, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) said laboratory testing conducted by the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg confirmed one passenger tested positive for the virus on Friday after samples were sent from B.C.

The case was first reported publicly by Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, earlier Friday, when she said the test had come back with a “presumptive positive” result.

PHAC said a second person who travelled with the confirmed case tested negative for hantavirus.

Henry said the patient was hospitalized after developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, earlier in the week.

“There have been no further cases identified at this time. All high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be monitored closely by local public health,” PHAC said.

The agency said the overall risk to the general population in Canada remains low from the Andes hantavirus outbreak linked to the ship.

WATCH | Dr. Bonnie Henry’s Friday update:

Canadian in isolation tests ‘presumptive positive’ for hantavirus after leaving cruise ship: B.C.’s top doctor

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says a Canadian isolating in B.C. has tested ‘presumptive positive’ for hantavirus after leaving the cruise ship affected by an outbreak of the Andes strain in recent weeks.

“All confirmed cases to date have been passengers or crew on the MV Hondius cruise ship. Given the severity of this virus, we are taking a precautionary approach to ensure Canadians are protected,” the agency added.

Dr. Joss Reimer, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, thanked public health authorities and frontline staff in B.C. in the statement, “for the dedicated care that they are providing and for their ongoing management of the situation, and the passengers for their co-operation with public health direction to help keep others safe.”

Quick Link

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Also Like

Microgreens sold in Ontario, Quebec recalled due to possible E. coli contamination
Health

Microgreens sold in Ontario, Quebec recalled due to possible E. coli contamination

May 16, 2026
At least 80 deaths reported as Congo grapples with new Ebola outbreak
Health

At least 80 deaths reported as Congo grapples with new Ebola outbreak

May 16, 2026
Ontario has lowered its colorectal cancer screening age to 45. But should it be lower?
Health

Ontario has lowered its colorectal cancer screening age to 45. But should it be lower?

May 16, 2026
Hantavirus has no cure. Here’s where researchers are at with treatments and vaccines
Health

Hantavirus has no cure. Here’s where researchers are at with treatments and vaccines

May 16, 2026
© 2023 Today in Canada. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?